Paula Basta Releases Ethics Reform Pledge.
February 14th, 2012
PAULA BASTA’S ETHICS REFORM PLAN FOR ILLINOIS
Illinois needs to give control of elections and government back to the people. I pledge to support the following ten measures to take power away from the special interests and give power back to the voters of Illinois.
GIVE CONTROL BACK TO VOTERS
- Allow voters to recall any officeholder that is convicted of a crime or found guilty of ethics violations.
- When a vacancy occurs, allow voters to fill that vacancy rather than letting party bosses make their own appointment.
- Place a fundraising cap on the amount of money that political parties or political leadership can contribute to a campaign.
- I oppose the Supreme Court’s recent ruling and support a fundraising cap on how much corporations can contribute to a campaign.
- Place a sensible limit on the number of years an officeholder can hold any one office.
CLEAN UP THE CORRUPTION
- Require anyone leaving state government to wait one year before they become a lobbyist.
- Demand that lobbyists registered in Illinois publicly disclose all expenditures and billing records.
- Abolish the General Assembly’s legislative scholarship program, which has been routinely abused by some elected officials to reward their political supporters.
- Pass pension reform to prohibit lucrative pension deals by elected officials and state employees.
- Prohibit any elected official or employee that has been convicted of corruption involving their position with government from ever holding elected office.